Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Concord Grape Chilled Cheesecake

I have been feeling kinda lazy these past two weeks. Yesterday was no different from last week and my lazy mood hasn't taken a paradigm shift either today. Am not quite sure what caused this lazy feeling in me lately. Perhaps it was the hot and humid weather. Or perhaps it was due to my sleeping in late and skipping breakfast lately. Anyway, lazy or not, I was browsing through a cheesecake recipe book yesterday and the pictures inside look so amazing that my yearning for a slice somehow managed to make me overcome that lazy inertia in me, at least temporarily. So, lazy or not, the glutton in me had won and this really nice and super easy cheesecake was the cause, as well as, the reward.

The original recipe calls for apricot nectar but I changed it by using Organic Concord Grape fruit spread which turned out really nice.

Also, I'm on a quest to use up supplies in my pantry/fridge, thus I also took the liberty to substitute the plain sweet biscuits for the base and sides by using leftover cornflakes. Out of laziness, I did not process the cornflakes to get fine breadcrumbs texture. All I did was crushing them with my bare hands. Thus, I had to pay the price for my laziness as the coarse cornflakes base was not a huge success at all, although the cheesecake layer and the topping turned out great.







Recipe:
155g plain sweet biscuits
75g butter, melted
1 (250ml) cup apricot nectar/grape fruit spread
1 tbsp gelatine
375g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup (250ml) cream

For the topping:
1 cup apricot nectar/grape fruit spread
1 tbsp sugar
3 tsp cornflour

- Process biscuits until resemble fine bread crumbs. Add butter, process till combined. Press crumbs evenly on the base of a 21cm springform tin (I did not use a springform tin and I had a lot of cornflakes crumbs left so I used it for the sides too)
- Pour 1 cup of apricot nectar/grape fruite spread in a saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle gelatine over it and stir until gelatine dissolves; cool until thickened slightly.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add lemon juice, beat in the apricot/grape mixture above and then fold in the cream. Pour cheesecake mixture into the tin and refrigerate for 3 hours.

- For the topping, combine 1 cup apricot nectar/grape fruit spread, sugar and cornflour in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil until it thickens slightly. Cool. Then gently pour over the chilled cheesecake. After that, refrigerate overnight.




Cheers,

17 comments:

  1. This sounds fabulous. I bet its delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, you make me mouth watering! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...this sounds great! I make a concord grape pie when the grapes are in season every fall (can't wait), I bet this has much of that same flavor! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look delicious and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The topping adds a gorgeous color to your yummy cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheesecake always my favourite! Yours one look fabulous. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! Personally I'd like this better than the apricot version...

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, do you know that...cheesecakes is one of my favorite? This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Everyone, thanks for taking time to give your comments. Always a joy to read. :D The grape fruit spread is very flavorful and for MLS & Anncoo who like cheesecake, this is an easy no-bake cheesecake worth the try :D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I am craving for cheesecake! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks really different something fun to try . i had an amazing strange grape pie at this amazing bakery in napa grapes in desserts is always an interesting but good take on things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking cheesecake with a super topping!
    Nice blog Nyonya.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi *pigpig*, *fancy lady* & *nicisme*, thank you very much for yr comments too :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheese cake .. my favorite dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why dont u make us desert in Melaka ?

    ReplyDelete