Wednesday, September 9, 2009
A Thai Affair...
Kai Haw Bai Toey or Fried Chicken in Screwpine Leaf has always been huge on my order list whenever I eat out at a Thai restaurant. So for dinner just now, I made some to go with Thai-style pineapple fried rice, another one of my favorite Thai recipes. To wash down the palate, I also boiled some Chinese-style Lotus Roots with Pork Ribs Soup in a clay pot by simmering it on low fire for slightly more than an hour. Everything smelled so good (esp the fried chicken) and looked perfect!...till of course, my Hub came home, saw the dinner on the table and asked "No Thai green curry???"! ......*&^%$*%#@ SMACKKK!!!!
Anyway, he did compliment me later on and said that dinner was fabulous. And so, he was spared from doing the dishes (this time)!
Kai Haw Bai Toey or Fried Chicken in Screwpine Leaf
Finely ground paste:
4 cloves garlic
1 stalk lemon grass
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp chillie powder
500 g chicken, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tbsp fish sauce
Light pinch of salt
1 tsp dark soy sauce (optional)
Screwpine leaves (use 1 leaf to wrap 1 piece of chicken)
2 cups cooking oil for frying
- Mix the chicken with the finely ground paste. Add sugar, sesame oil, fish sauce, dark soy sauce & marinate for 1 hour.
- Wrap each piece of chicken with 1 screwpine leave. Use a toothpick to secure both ends of the leaf if you want to.
- Deep fry for 10-12 minutes and drain.
Pineapple Fried Rice
1 big bowl of cooked rice
Quarter of a medium ripe pineapple (cored & diced)
2 tbsp cooking oil
6 shallots, sliced thinly
2 tbsp dried prawns (soaked in water for 5 mins and drained)
150 g diced chicken meat
1-2 Chinese sausages (lap cheong)
2 tbsp Nam Pla or fish sauce
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Heat the cooking oil and saute the shallots until brown and crisp. Set aside. In the same oil, saute the dried prawns until fragrant, then add in the chicken and sausages and saute for 3-4 mins.
- Add the fish sauce, curry powder, sugar, soy sauce, pineapple and rice. Mix well and continue frying for another 3-4 mins. Serve hot and garnish with coriander leaves and cucumber.