Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Roasted Duck Mixed Congee


Using some leftover roasted duck from one of my many Chinese New Year feasts, I managed to whip up an unsuspectingly delicious bowl of silky smooth congee (or porridge as it's more commonly called in Malaysia). By just adding some other dried stuff like scallops, oysters and such, the congee takes on a super lovely flavor and aroma! To achieve a bowl of silky smooth and thick congee quite like the version one usually gets in dim sum restaurants, there are 2 tips for home cooks which my sister-in-law imparted to me a while back. So, enough said, here are the recipe and tips.This recipe serves 2-3.

Photobucket- 130g Jasmine rice/white long-grain rice
- Approx. 2 liters water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shao Tsing/Hua Tiaow wine)

1. Wash rice twice - each time with clean tap water. Discard the water.
2. * Place rice in a pressure cooker, pot or rice cooker.
3. Add the water, cooking oil (tip #1) and cooking wine.
4. Leave to soak for 30-40 minutes (tip #2).

While the rice is soaking, prepare:
- Approx. 300g store-bought roasted duck, cut into small pieces
- 4 pieces dried scallops, wash and soak for 10 minutes, then break into strands
- 4 pieces dried oysters, wash and soak for 10 minutes, then chop into small bits
- 3 pieces dried shitake mushrooms, wash and soak for 30 minutes or till soften, trim off stems and cut into strips
- 2 pieces dried black wood's ear/cloud's ear, wash and soak for 30 minutes or till soften, trim off 'heads' and cut into thin strips
- 30g groundnuts, remove skin and split in 2 (cooks faster)
- 130g minced pork or chicken

After the rice has been soaked for the required time, add in all the ingredients above into the pot. Cook until the congee is thick but not dry, and smooth. If the water evaporates and the congee becomes too thick while cooking, some hot water can be added in. Do not add too much water at a time as this will dilute its flavor.

* For faster cooking time, use a pressure cooker. Using a pot over a stove or an electronic rice cooker is fine too. If using a pot, clay pot is the best. I have a phobia of pressure cooker, so I don't own one. I cooked my congee in my much-loved automatic rice cooker. With automatic rice cooker, the heat will turn off by itself after a certain point when the congee has been cooking for long and as it gets thicker. What I did was to let it rest for a few minutes before pressing the 'cook' button again as I wanted my congee to cook longer and soften even more. Using the rice cooker, my cooking time was approx. 1 hour to 1.15 hour.

For garnish:
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped spring onion
- Crispy fried shallots (thinly slice 10-12 shallots and fry in hot oil in a wok/pan over medium low heat till golden brown. the amount of oil should be enough to cover the shallots)
- Chopped/sliced fresh chilies (normally congee is not accompanied by chilies, but I much prefer mine with them)

Enjoy!

Best,

51 comments:

  1. WOW! This really yum..yum..
    I saw all your faces on the meet up photos. So fun, wish I can join you all.
    Anyway how are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your idea of a makeover for the leftover is just fabulous! Oh, I can use some warm congee on rainy days like this! (I love it even more on winter days!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so comforting and delicious, great idea for roasted duck leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice comforting dish, perfect for leftovers. It looks delicious1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always enjoy congee. Duck is also nice. When I'm on a local holiday, for a buffet breakfast, I will try the congee which is always served. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks very interesting..:) Bet its very very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wah this is awesmely nice lar! my favourite :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. swee san, thanks, it's yummy alright :)

    anncoo, i'm well & slightly less busy now. thks for asking :). yes, would be so nice if you could join us. would love to meet you in person. maybe next round, k.

    pei-lin, leftovers can taste wonders, huh!

    5 Star & lyndsey, yes, congee is definitely a comfort food for those who love it.

    keats, looks like you're a congee lover too. yay!

    reese, the duck and dried ingredients are what that make the congee delicious.

    bbo, yeah, my fav too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know Joslynn, roast duck and congee are both my husband's favorite! Looks like I have to make this for him one of these days...thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is new to me, I never try this kind of congee before, must try one day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very popular dish among the Hakka people! I always cook my leftover roast duck in this way too. Saving up alot of cooking time! haha... that's what I like about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've left something for you. Please feel free to stop by my blog to collect it. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds and looks sooo good! Comfort food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice, I like to cook roasted duck congee too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum... I love congee.. looks like you got lots of ingredients there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm, this looks so delicious! I love everything you put in it! I'll have to try this soon.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is a great use of leftover roasted duck. Thx for sharing tips to make dim-sum restaurant quality congee :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The congee sounds very delicious with roasted duck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Josie...how are you my dear? Was remembering you today so thought of checking you out here. Fbook or email me your KL no, will call to catch up.
    Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dying for a good and real congee ..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congee looks so rich and filling dear!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bee, sounds like both our hubs have sumthg in common!

    Sonia, if you like roasted duck, this congee is worth trying.

    MLS, didn't know this is a Hakka thing. Thks for the sunshine award :)

    Ju, congee is such a comfort food for many.

    Pete, looks like we both love the taste of the same thing!

    mycooking hut, haha yes, i simply 'threw' in whatever dried ingredients i have in my refrigerator.

    Catherine, thank you & happy trying!

    noobcook, you are welcome. more than happy to share the tips.

    Angie, yeah, roasted duck adds such nice flavor & aroma!

    Arshi, will contact u soon, cheers!

    Laura, am sure the Chinese restaurants in Paris do serve nice congee too, or I think maybe you're missing the ones you got in Beijing?! :)

    Mye, yeah, lots of ingredients so quite filling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sometimes the garnish such as cilantro and fried shallots will bring the congee to the next level! I'm happy to see generous garnishes on yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like a very flavoursome bowl of congee, I have been using left over rice for congee lately hehe

    ReplyDelete
  25. The congee looks good...in this crazy hot weather, I just want something really easy to eat. Sounds like something I shd be cooking for this Sunday's lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh those tips are truly precious...ill make some soon with the tips in mind.. it looks so good!!tq for sharing ^^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow this congee looks soo savory and delicious -- I love duck so I know I could easily eat a GIGANTIC bowl of this all to myself. MMMmm now my tummy is rumbling :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love porridge like this, so loaded!

    ReplyDelete
  29. never have roast duck porridge!! bet it's must taste so tasty and good!! a real comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That congee looks great, with the duck!

    ReplyDelete
  31. long time i haven't eaten congee, yours looks so yummy that i will cook one tomorrow :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wah!!! Ah Ee, your blog getting more and more famous... Sure because your food look delicious and taste even better. .Wah,maybe in 1 year time , will be the number 1 blog of all time!!It could happen ...

    From: Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have never eaten this dish before but it sure looks great!!

    MMMMM,...very tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. by looking at your ingredients, I already start drooling...I know this congee would turn out superb tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just wanted to say thank you for the lovely coment you left on my blog :D. I am not going to stop blogging. I am making a brand new website thats going to be amazing. Cant wait for you to see it.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh I love this porridge very much, it reminds me of the type of breakfast I had when I was growing up. Thanks for the recipe, I shall try to make it to see if my family will like it as well.
    Cheers,
    elra

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love using leftovers to create dishes like this! Very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  38. nice post great idea i like it :) visit my blog
    http://concretecontractornyc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. I Love using leftovers to create dishes like this nice post

    ReplyDelete
  40. Must have been bursting with flavour, looking at all the ingredients you put into the congee. :) Great way to use leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for the tip Josslyn, I wonder what the drop of oil do with the porridge. I know the soaking par is to swell up the rice grain so it'll cook and break up faster.

    ReplyDelete
  42. My new blog went up today, so be sure to check it out daaaaahling. I'd love to know what you think. Also join my giveaway :D
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a delicious congee you made with your leftovers! I would like to reach in and eat that spoonful!

    ReplyDelete
  44. i love it, n i usually cook it once a month,..

    ReplyDelete