Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Light & Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies


peanutbutter2

This is one of the best recipes for peanut butter cookies I have come across. It is superbly light, crunchy & richly tasty. The peanut-buttery aroma that wafted through the air while the cookies were being baked in the oven was enough to convince me that this recipe by Belinda Jeffery which I had gotten from 'delicious.' - an Australian food mag - is definitely a keeper. As the dough is really soft, it needs to be rolled into logs and refrigerated for a couple of hours prior to slicing and baking. This cookie will never fail to delight both the young & the old. With each crunchy bite, you'll definitely want to go for more. So, be sure to make enough to last for several days. Caution: if you have unexpected guests whom you dislike, do not offer these cookies or else, they might just return again!...Or, if you want to win someone over, go ahead and offer these cookies packed nicely in a pretty ribboned gift box ;-).

peanutbutter1

Recipe:
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
125g unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped raw unsalted peanuts, plus some for decoration

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cream butter and all the sugar in a separate bowl till light and fluffy. Add peanut butter, combine. Then add egg and vanilla, combine. Add flour and gently mix. Add chopped peanuts. The dough will be very soft. Divide into 2 portion. Prepare 2 large baking paper and place each portion of the dough on each of the paper. Use your hands to shape the dough into approx 5 cm-thick log. Then roll up with the paper to enclose. Chill them in the fridge for 2-3 hrs or until firm. Preheat oven to 150 deg C, unwrap logs, slice into 6-7mm thick rounds. Place cookies 3 cm apart on trays lined with baking paper. Press extra nuts onto each cookie and bake between 20-25 mins or till brown.

Cheers,

37 comments:

  1. WOW! looks easy and tasty. Will add this in my to do list. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peanut butter and anything made with them.

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smell of peanut butter anything being baked. Cookies look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies are so addictive, I'm sure I won't be able to stop eating after the first bite. Thanks a lot for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cookie look great, I gonna to try out, by the way, will this cookie turned soggy once cooled or keep overnight? I'm sure will not serve this cookie to unpopular guests, hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not good with pastries, but the way you show it seems quite easy...thanks for the recipe.

    OK, I will also follow the way how you offer your cookies..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, can I add you in my blog list ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. THis post took me to your Almond Butter Cookies too .. what a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to *ALL* for your comments. It's my pleasure to share this recipe since it's so good :)

    *Sonia*, the cookies will not turn soft or soggy. As long you keep them in air tight container, they stay crunchy & fresh for a long time..even after a month or more.

    *NyonyaChef*, please feel free to add if you wish to & thank you :)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm. light and crunchy sounds good.
    when i think of peanut butter..
    i think about how gelat and uncomfortable it would be in the mouth!
    but this sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good day, congrats! You're geeting better and better each time I visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had a crunchy peanut butter cookie. What a super idea! These look delicious! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Petite Nyonya, I have an award for you! It's on my blog. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love anything with peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love the crunch of these scrumptious cookies, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are right about the Julia Child phenomenon. It is everywhere and I may have caught it myself... we will see but my husband is even encouraging me to do the project...very strange...maybe French food is now calling to him. I do know I am fitting in other fun recipes that catch my whim along with JC.

    I collect peanut butter cookie reipes and this one looks like such a keeper. You are so cute about not offering these cookies if the people are not liked. I am still smiling! Thank you for sharing this recipe and I know I will be baking these this weekend...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those peanut butter cookies look absolutely delightful! A good cup of coffee and few of those delicious cookies would make for a great afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I prefer light peanut cookies than the heavy and dense one! want to grab one and munch now! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Topping the cookie with peanuts is a great addition! My family would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. *MAUC*, these cookies are definitely not 'gelat'.

    *MLS*, *Barbara*, thank you :)

    *Palidor*, thank you for the award :D. i will pick it up from your blog.

    *HH*, i like peanut butter too :)

    *5 Star Foodie*, these cookies are really crunchy to the bite.

    *Shandy*, now you can add 1 more recipe to your collection :). have fun baking & may you enjoy eating them too :D

    *Velva*, you're right, a cup of coffee would be just perfect!

    *Beachlover*, this one not heavy so you will like it.

    *Sophie*, wish i could send some to you through the internet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. *Barbara Bakes*, although the peanut toppings are for decoration, but they really add to the crunch of the cookies too :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are so lovely. I love the nuts sprinkle over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, this is first time I drop into your blog. A very nice blog, will keep to visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. one of these cookies and a glass of milk..Im in heaven!Figtreeapps

    ReplyDelete
  25. - *the ungourmet*, thank you :)
    - *cherry potato*, thanks for visiting & leaving a comment too!:D
    - *figtree*, you're right, a glass of milk will be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh what wonderful cookies I adore your blog, have a great sunday will visit often lol Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, my goodness! These look really yummy! Love peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow this looks super crunchy and delicious. I love peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. *Chow and Chatter*, thank you & I like your blog & the videos you've posted too!

    *Talita* & *Noobcook*, thanks, these cookies are really yummy & crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never actually made peanut butter cookies, which is quite crazy considering how much I like peanut butter and cookies. I like how you added peanuts on top!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Chef Fresco, I love peanut butter too and this cookie recipe is really, really good.

    mycookinghut, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've never had a "crunchy" peanut butter cookie before. It looks good, I definitely think it's something I'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gaga, thanks, do try this if you like peanut butter :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. yummy..make some for me..yr 5th sis.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous aka 5th sis, can make for Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What namely you're saying is a terrible blunder.

    ReplyDelete