Sunday, October 24, 2010

Crusty Moist Madeleines

These little plumpy morsels in their recognizable shell shape may have originated from France, but its fan base spans the globe. I read that some had said, for the tastiest and most delicately authentic madeleines, one needs to go to France. Hmm...sounds like a darn good idea to me!

The first time I tried making madeleines was well, not quite in their original form as I didn't have any madeleine pans then so I basically used my bear mould pan. I had used the recipe from Lee Mei of Cooking Hut, who shared a classic recipe which uses yeast instead of baking powder.

Last week after purchasing my madeleine pans, I got eager and wanted to make some badly. After searching and comparing about 5-6 recipes (and they all have the same classic ingredients), I stumbled upon one which uses some milk and honey. The result was good if you want crusty edges with a buttery moist inside. These are however, best eaten on the same day they are baked as leaving a day older will have them less spongy.

madeleines
Recipe for "Crusty on the outside, moist in the inside Madeleines" (found at www.epicurious.com)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus additional for brushing molds
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tablespoons mild honey


Method:
Put racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Brush molds with melted butter.
Sift together flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then whisk in zest.
Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into another bowl with tip of a paring knife (reserve pod for another use). Add sugar and rub together until vanilla is well dispersed, then whisk in eggs, milk, honey, and remaining 1 3/4 sticks melted butter. Fold into flour mixture until just combined.
Spoon a rounded tablespoon of batter into each mold, filling it about two-thirds full. Bake (with 2 pans on one rack), switching position of pans halfway through baking and rotating 180 degrees, until golden around edges and a wooden pick or skewer inserted into center of a madeleine comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes total. (I baked longer for crustier edges)
Turn out madeleines onto a rack and serve slightly warm.
Notes: These madeleines are best eaten when just baked. The batter can be made 3 hours ahead, then chilled, covered.
Cheers
petite nyonya

28 comments:

  1. I love the crusty outside and moist inside kind of little cake... just like those kampung style bahulu! ^_^ Thanks for sharing, Jos. And spending your valueable time with us. Have a great evening.
    Goodnight, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Madeleine craze has definitely seized many lately :) ... Your madeleines look plump and golden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours look perfect! They have the little bumps that everyone's after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crusty, moist and beautiful. They are perfect ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your madeleines are very pretty! Great job! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a hot item in blog now. Too bad, I don't have the mould yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and golden! Great for a coffee break!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks lovely :), great for a snack:) thanks for stopping by at my blog :) and for your question, its not an authentic curry but something my mum used to whip up now and then

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I saw madeleines, I wish I could have bought the pan...sighs...really have to get one before X'mas.
    These look perfectly baked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never have this, bookmarked and will try out someday...but..err...don't know when since the little one coming soon! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so lovely and nicely baked to a golden colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree with Shirley. Seems that a lot of you are baking madeleines and gawh, I have not even tried them before. Eating, I meant :O

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the golden color of these madeleines, I am so tempting to get the mould now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, its just not the same without the madeleine pan. I love madeleines when they are warm and fresh from the oven. THese look delicious!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of using honey!! Well done, your madeleines look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your madeleines look perfect..and I love the idea of crusty outside and moist inside...must be delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will have to look for madeleines pans, TWY would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. look fluffy and moist !! why you guys make pretty madeleines?? *crying* mine usually have bruise! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, may I know where you got get your pan? I have been searching high and low for the pan :( So sad I can't get it :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Petite Nynoya, Wow. that is so kind of you :) I am in Ipoh but currently in Perth to study. I am going back to Ipoh during the coming break. And I might need you help to buy it for me if I am really desperate cause I don't really wanna trouble you. You always go to Singapore for holidays? Haha. Anyway, I am so thankful to have you as my baking friend ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey, your madeleines look soo good!! i am going to Paris next month, surely i will try a lot of sweet, including madeleines and macarons :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are really gorgeous looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, madeleines are one of my mom's and my fave snacks! I betcha got ur pan at Phoon Huat, eh? I got mine there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!!!...a lovely golden brown and it looks so tempting i feel like biting into one right now......!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it, it's the best and simply delicious. That is Madeleine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice post thank you Brooke

    ReplyDelete